Thursday, November 26, 2009

{Reno Day 14 - 18}

Saturday Evening:
I decided to call the boss and demand changes for everything that went wrong. He assured me that he would look into it when he returns to Singapore on Monday.

I felt really awful because I do get along very well with the contractor. That was also the reason why I've given in and covered up for her so many times. Until I spoke to my friend who introduced them to me, she kept drilling this into my head: She's not your friend. Right now, she's your contractor. You are the client."

And so I did it.

All these time, there were SMS exchanges between the contractor and me. On one hand I was fuming mad with the entire process. On the other hand I felt extremely bad to have gone to the boss - kinda felt like I sabotaged her. Anyway, it is done...


Sunday Evening:
Cousin came over to check out the work and gave some advice on Sunday afternoon. I called the boss again to request to meet on Monday to settle it.

Spoke & SMS contractor on Sunday evening to say - NO NEED to paint door frames. Coz' they wanted to charge another $100 for that in which we didn't want to take the risk that it might go wrong again. Contractor understood. All the painter had to do on Monday is to clean up the mess that he made and do some final touch up. No painting of frame required.


Monday Morning:
Received call from dad to say that he's at the hospital for check up. The painter came and started painting my door frames. Our helper was sharp enough to stop him.

I was in the middle of a semiar organised by our school, extremely busy, extremely frustrated... I lost it.

I called the boss and let's just say, he saw the ugly side of me... hai... I demanded to see him that very afternoon and was ready to demand that if nothing is going to be rectified, we'll stop all renovation works, and we're shooting this up to case - EXTREMELY ungracious, but like I said, I lost it.

Seriously, what's wrong with their communication. Something as simple as NOT paint could go wrong. How could I have been clearer to her?

Monday Afternoon:
They came: Boss of contractor, contractor, boss of carpenter, carpenter. We met. Boss agreed it was shabby work. Was extremely apologetic, especially because it was recommended by a friend. Agreed to change everything that was wrong, including all those stuff that they said cannot be rectified.

All the items listed in the previous post on things that have gone wrong, would be recitified and changed to what I wanted.

Finally, I could smile.

They could only install the week after coz they needed time to make the changes. I agreed. Seems reasonable.

The boss was extremely apologetic, especially after seeing how mum and dad had to sleep amongst the mess and dust downstairs... What was supposed to be completed in 2 weeks has now stretched beyond...it's coming to a month....

Monday Evening:
Contractor SMSed to say that they would get it done by this Saturday. Woo hoo! Not just that, they even offered to paint the frames for free (the paint is now different color because of the earlier miscommunication with their painter.)

So after all the storm, everything finally came to a peaceful stream. I'm just waiting to see the beautiful finished work on Saturday and have the parquet reworked on Monday and wala! We're done!

Pray with me.

And yes, pray for more grace and wisdom for me to handle such situtations. While I had the right to blow up, there was really no need for me to do that. I could have spoken nicely to the boss and managed everything better. I need to learn how to extend grace, rest in God's assurance that all will be worked out and take control of my temprements. Well, we all learn :)

Today is the 18th day since reno started... agree in prayer with me that it will be completed by early next week.

No comments: